Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:49:57 +0000
From:      "Troy Settle" <Troy.Settle@usit.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@eugene.net>
Subject:   Re: One more thing regarding my PPP problems...

> Date:          Mon, 13 Jan 1997 00:06:14 -0700
> To:            freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> From:          Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@eugene.net>
> Subject:       One more thing regarding my PPP problems...

> I forgot to mention in my previous posting that I'm using the
> 2.5.1 GENERIC kernel, which is supposed to have PPP support as
> the default, according to the Handbook and FAQ.  Be that as it
> may, I strongly suspect that it doesn't, in fact, and that I'm
> going to have to build a kernel with PPP support.  Serves me
> right for making assumptions, but I thought I could trust the
> docs...  :^)

WooHoo!!!  2.5.1  Where can I get it from?   :^)

The PPP support in the 2.1.5 GENERIC kernel is user level ppp,
it utilizes the tunnel pseudo device, and is
run/operated/configured from ijppp (read: ppp)

I don't know why kernel ppp isn't in GENERIC, but that's the way
things go.  It's pretty simple to build a custom kernel, and you
would probably be better off with it anyways. :)

cya,
Troy

.signature files suck
http://www.public.usit.net/pitlord