Date:      Thu, 12 May 2005 06:39:39 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.x/4.x migration FAQs: axe or not?

Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> Before I go and completely delete these FAQs: any reason why we should
> keep them?  They're for upgrading from 3.x to 4.x.  At this point, I
> suspect that our real answer would be "reinstall from 5.4 media and
> start over."  :-)
>

> 3.12. I have just upgraded from 3.X to 4.X, and my first boot failed with "bad sector table not supported"
>
> 3.13. How do I tell if a drive has bad144 information on it before I
> try to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.0 and it fails?
>
> 3.14. How do I remove bad144 from my pre-4.X system so I can upgrade
> safely?

Well,

if we want to have the 3.X era to go away since it has been a long
time since it lived :-) we also should nuke the migration guide to
4.X. We can suggest people to install 5.4 (or 4.11 of they'd wish)
indeed.

If we do not, we might end up in maintaining 3.X documentation for
a unknown period of time (which can't actually be good :)).

Cheers!

--
Kind regards,

      Remko Lodder  ** remko@elvandar.org