Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 01:34:26 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        David Lapsley <david@melbourneit.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Programming

Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, David Lapsley wrote:
>
> > I am also working on my own transport protocol (as part of my PhD thesis)
> > that routes packets between the (currently ethernet) interfaces of a
> > FreeBSD machine using explicit rate feedback to the sources to tell them what
> > rate to transmit it(similar in concept to the ATM Forum's ABR standard).
> > I understand that Linux has a group that is working on a specially optimized
> > kernel for use in routing machines, and I was wondering if there is a similar
> > FreeBSD group.

There is a group at one of the eastern universities doing
a project for high-speed routing with FreeBSD, where they
use an SMP PC but dedicate one of the processors to routing
and the other to policy.
(I forget whch university, maybe someone else can giv eyou pointers..)

also
see the WIDE project
 (check pointers in www.freebsd.org)

there is some ATM support in -current already.