Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:25:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Alexander Eichner <alexeichi@yahoo.de>
To:        "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hope for USB support?

--- Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at> schrieb am Di, 12.10.2010:=0A=0A=
> Von: Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at>=0A> Betreff: Re: Hope for USB=
 support?=0A> An: "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>, "Kevin Oberman" <=
oberman@es.net>=0A> CC: emulation@freebsd.org=0A> Datum: Dienstag, 12. Okto=
ber, 2010 08:12 Uhr=0A> ----- Urspr=FCngliche Mitteilung=0A> -----=0A> > On=
 Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>=0A> wrote:=
=0A> > > I know that it is a long shot, especially with=0A> Oracle at the h=
elm VB on=0A> > > the corporate side, but USB support for=0A> VirtualBox is=
 the one piece I=0A> > > am missing that forces me to keep a bootable=0A> W=
indows system around.=0A> > > =0A> > > Is there any hope of seeing USB on V=
B with=0A> FreeBSD as the host and=0A> > > Windows as the guest OS?=0A> > =
=0A> > I could use this as well, and I know of at least 2=0A> others.=0A> >=
 =0A> > I guess a good starting point would be to ask, what is=0A> the scop=
e of=0A> > work that needs to be done to add USB support to=0A> Virtual box=
 in=0A> > FreeBSD=0A> =0A> That work has already been done. I know that Ale=
xander=0A> Eichner has already working USB support since some time. I=0A> w=
as also told that the only possible way of getting a PUEL=0A> version with =
USB support is if a company is interested in=0A> it. So that will probably =
cost some money. But if you are=0A> actually interested in it please ask th=
e virtualbox people=0A> from oracle about it because I don't even know how =
much=0A> money they want for it.=0A> =0A> --=0A> Bernhard Fr=F6hlich=0A> ht=
tp://www.bluelife.at/=0A=0Aworking USB support is a bit excessive ;). The c=
ode is very sketchy and was tested only with USB mass storage devices. Ther=
e is still a lot of work to be done until it is stable and can be used in a=
 productive environment. One missing part is a kernel driver which captures=
 the devices to prevent others from accessing the device.=0AUSB 1.1 is open=
 source since some time now btw. so everyone can have a look and improve th=
e code.=0A=0ASee http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/trunk/src/VBox/Devices/U=
SB/freebsd=0Aand http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/trunk/src/VBox/Main/free=
bsd/USBProxyServiceFreeBSD.cpp for example.=0A=0A