Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 20:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to connect 2 FBSD boxen

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Frank Seltzer wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Doug White wrote:
>
> > Check the questions mail archive, I've posted shot-in-the-dark
> > instructions on using lp0 once before.
> >
> > If you can't find it let me know and I'll rewrite it.
>
> It's not showing up in the questions archive. Would you mind reposting it?

I went hunting for 'lp0' and found this message from Nate Williams.

> I'd like to install FreeBSD on my new Digital HiNote ct450. Would
> someone please point me to the complete idiot's ~guide to parallel port
> IP install' document. I have the laplink parallel cable already.

-- whack --

Here it is in a nutshell.

[ On your FreeBSD desktop box ]
# ifconfig lp0 10.5.5.1 10.5.5.2

[ On your FreeBSD laptop ]
# ifconfig lp0 10.5.5.2 10.5.5.1
# ping 10.5.5.1

Voila, you're networked.  Now, if you're desktop is on a network and you
want to be able to access it, you'll have to worry about routing and
such, but those are more 'generic' problems are are unrelated to the
laplink setup.  See the handbook for routing information.

Nate

-- whack --

He's right; that's all that's required, assuming that your lp ports are
detected as 'TCP/IP capable interface's on bootup.

Just think as the lp0 device as an ethernet card.