Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:12:36 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "W. J. Williams" <will@willardjwilliams.com>
Cc:        Noel Balansag <pongkee@yahoo.com>, Tom Parquette <bcsfd204@twcny.rr.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do i invoke the command "ee" or "vi" when system fails to load

[Please don't top post.]

On 2003-03-11 23:07, "W. J. Williams" <will@willardjwilliams.com> wrote:
>Tom Parquette <bcsfd204@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>> Noel, From your description I'm assuming you are going into single
>> user mode.
>>
>> It sounds like fstab is pointing in the wrong place.  If you can
>> figure out where your /usr filesystem is you can issue a mount
>> command to remount it.  Once you have /usr mounted, "ee" should
>> work for you.  Hope this helps.  Cheers...
>
> ironic...I dorked something up last night in my lab and found myself
> in the same predicament...my mentor had me invoke the mount -a
> command which brought me out of read only mode so I could run vi to
> fix my rc.conf...hope this helps...

Nah.  It's not a good idea to use "mount -a" before fsck.  The safest
thing you can do if you haven't tinkered with the sizes and/or order
of the partitions is to run:

	# fsck -p && mount -u / && mount -va

Then you can use vi from /usr/bin or vim, emacs, joe, pico, nano or
whatever from /usr/local/bin :-)

- Giorgos