Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:59:51 -0600
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <stranda@cofc.edu>
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V4 #2129

Since it is a linux binary, you will need to install a separate copy of the
Linux version of the JDK. If you attempt to force the issue, you will get
some strange errors, if the application even attempts to run (most will
complain that the library is corrupt). You might want to install it under
/compat/linux/etc/usr - and setup the environment accordingly.

Remember, the linux subsystem is practically an installation of Linux that
just happens to run under FBSD. It still requires linux libraries and
binaries.

Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com

Hi all,

I'm trying to get some genetic analysis software running on my
machine.  The program I am interested in is available as a set of
linux binaries (as well as the usual MS windows, mac etc.).  The
software is contructed so that there is a front end providing all user
interface written in java and an engine written in c/c++.  The authors
distribute the software as binaries only, but they clearly say that if
you have jdk1.1.7 or greater installed on your machine, you only need
to install the engine portion and it will interact correctly with
java.

I am tracking 4.x-STABLE branch and I have installed jdk1.1.8 from the
ports collection.  I naively thought that I could run the engine
portion under linux emulation and use the FBSD version of jre.

When I tried the above strategy, I received the following error
message:

- --
Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
Could not create Java VM
- --

If it is not already obvious, I am completely ignorant of java issues.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Allan