Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 08:03:38 -0600
From:      Bryan Curl <bc3910@pcisys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   6.1_RELEASE / mergemaster error

I humbly apologize if this is a repost. Googles Gmail has been very
unpredictable lately, so in frustration I am resending this from my ol'
faithful ISP mailbox since last nights post never seemed to make it to
the list.

I am upgrading from 6.1_RC (something like that) to 6.1_RELEASE using
CVSUp &  RELENG_6.1 tag
After make installworld I ran the final run through of mergemaster and
received this error:

ERROR CODE 64
FATAL ERROR: Cannot 'dc' into /usr/src/etc/ and install files to the
temproot environment.

Cant say how far it got before this error but it looked like it was
going along pretty good.
Upon reboot there were at least one system files missing, like hosts.
I'm not sure if other files failed to copy on as well.
I was in single user mode and did the fsck and mounts as described in
the manual. I chmod 777 on that directory but that did not help.

Also noticed samba did not start from rc.conf although it loads and runs
from the prompt. But these may or may not  be a symptom of the error.

Should I be concerned about this? How I fix and move on?