Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:50:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Configuring xdm

This is more of an XFree86 or straight X question, but since a lot of
you may have configured this for FreeBSD yada-yada....

1) I am having trouble configuring the xlogin screen that xdm starts the
way I want. I have been able to change fonts and colors, but there is
one problem I have been having with the text. I cannot seem to be able
to sneak in a newline. What annoys me, is that what works on the SGIs
does not work on the FreeBSD machines. The SGIs have,

xlogin*greeting:        Welcome to %H\n\
IRIX %R

In the Xresources file for xdm. This makes a nice,

                       Welcome to indy
                          IRIX 5.3

Where 'indy' is the hostname -s, and 5.3 is the IRIX version, both
subsituted in by %-escapes.

Well, on FreeBSD, the %-escapes do not work, which I can live with. I
can use 'CLIENTHOST' to get the hostname (but how do I get the short
hostname?). But I cannot seem to get a newline in there. I have tried
using,

xlogin*greeting:        Welcome to CLIENTHOST\n\FreeBSD 2.2.8

xlogin*greeting:        Welcome to CLIENTHOST\n\
FreeBSD 2.2.8

xlogin*greeting:        Welcome to CLIENTHOST\012\FreeBSD 2.2.8

xlogin*greeting:        Welcome to CLIENTHOST\012\
FreeBSD 2.2.8

All of which just give me,

            Welcome to freebsd.mydomain.org FreeBSD 2.2.8

How do I get that \n in there?

2) On this same screen, I have been unsuccessful in modifying the
geometry of the xconsole. I can change the foreground and background
colors of the xconsole just fine, so I know the Xresources are being
used. But no matter what values I might use for XConsole.geometry
I cannot change the size or the position of the xconsole. I would like
to have a small xconsole in the upper-left corner rather than the
lower-right default,

XConsole.geometry:	430x90+0+0

But after adding this and restarting xdm, no change.

Anyone been able to do these things? Thanks in advance.