Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2011 11:46:34 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System hanging, error messages with USB drive on FreeBSD  8.1

On 8/28/2011 11:20 AM, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 11:43 PM 8/27/2011, Polytropon wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if this will help you, but I also had similar
>> problems with a Kingston USB stick (normal storage stick,
>> no removable microSD card). It didn't work on any of my
>> FreeBSD systems. So I finally returned it to the shop and
>> got a Sony USB stick instead - no problems, works fine.
>>
>> So this is my assumption: Some hardware vendors maybe
>> improperly implement the USB protocol in their devices,
>
> A Web search reveals that there are dozens which apparently
> have problems with FreeBSD, while Windows has problems with
> none of them. This leads me to believe that the problem is
> in FreeBSD, not the hardware.

The vendors most probably write their own drivers for windows. They do
not for FreeBSD and its best effort for FreeBSD.  I have yet to come
across a USB umass device that needs a quirks setting to make it work.
But I am sure there are many out there as there are dozens of different
vendors/OEMs out there of all sorts of quality.  Having to deal with the
edge cases using a single command is perfectly acceptable to me. If
setting a quirks value for FreeBSD is not workable for you, perhaps
Windows is a better choice for your use.

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400