Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:59:25 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        nathan_arun@hotmail.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FTP, was: samba related question

>Hello,
>I connected my FreeBSD4.4 machine to a Windows Network using Samba (thanks
>to the people who pointed me to www.samba.org)
>
>Now I have connectivity with other windows machines on the network. (able
>use "net use" and "telnet" commands from windows machines.)
>
>I have installed KDE and I'm able to browse the web from FreeBSD machine.
>What is puzzling me is when I type "ftp ftp.freebsd.org", I'm getting error
>message "No address associated with hostname".
>
>What should I do enable the ftp client?

FreeBSD does have a minimal FTP daemon (I presume you meant daemon, not
client), but I found it fairly lacking and in some cases uncooperative with
firewalls. Not that FTP and firewalls mix well in any situation.

My personal preference for serving FTP is ProFTPd, which has a configuration
file which is intentionally very similar to Apache's, it a robust and
relatively secure server, and can handle heavy loads without croaking. There
are several other mice FTP daemons, but you would probably do well to avoid
WU-FTPd because of its security history if nothing else.

I changed the name of this thread because while FTP and Samba (SMB) are used
for essentially the same thing (err, sort of)...serving files...they are two
completely different protocols and are used very differently. Samba is more
meant to allow a server's share to become a 'virtual hard drive' on a remote
system, whereas FTP is more designed to allow access to remote files for the
purpose of getting a specific file rather than running a program off of the
server's disk or the like.

You can get ProFTPd and docs from www.proftpd.net, and IIRC you can install
it from ports. (something like /usr/ports/ftp/proftpd)