Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:14:35 +0000
From:      krad <kraduk@googlemail.com>
To:        Elias Chrysocheris <eliaschr@cha.forthnet.gr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: / slice too small

On 28 February 2010 15:42, Elias Chrysocheris <eliaschr@cha.forthnet.gr>wrote:

> On Sunday 28 of February 2010 15:26:54 Frank Shute wrote:
> > I've got a machine here running 7.2 which I want to upgrade to 8.0 but
> > looking at the root slice it is woefully small:
> >
> > $ df -h
> > Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/ad4s2    190M    146M     29M    84%    /
> > devfs         1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> > /dev/ad4s4    129G     15G    104G    12%    /usr
> > devfs         1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /var/named/dev
> >
> > I've got a CD/DVD writer on that machine along with a 100MB ethernet
> > connection to my desktop.
> >
> > How do I go about upgrading it? Dump/restore and change the partition
> > table?
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> Yes. The dump/restore should do the trick as long as you have another
> medium
> to store the dumps (such as another hard disk). You will store the images
> of
> your slices to the new medium using dump(8). You can then use FixIt console
> re-partition and re-slice your hard disk and then restore(8) your images in
> the newly sliced hard disk. Actually, if you have another hard disk device,
> you can use piped dump/restore to copy the whole system from one disk to
> the
> other and make the second one your bootable disk. Of course you must have
> sliced the second device first.
> I've done this many times. The first was to remove an openSUSE partition I
> had,
> living in the same hard disk as my FreeBSD. The second time was to move my
> FreeBSD to another hard disk (physical device). The new disk became my boot
> disk.
> The third time was to move my system to another bigger hard disk device and
> at
> the same time be formated as ZFS.
> Now my system boots from this third hard disk device, having ZFS and the
> operating system is the same as that I first installed (of cource
> updated...)
>
> Elias

You might well find it easier to use rsync rather than dump. Just make sure
you use the following flags

rsync -aHP --numeric-ids

I use it in our backup setup at work, and have restored countless freebsd
boxes.

When you repartition the drive remember to add the boot blocks

eg

fdisk -B ad0
bsdlabel -B ad0s1