Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:30:21 -0800
From:      Robert Nesius <nesius@europa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mouse

Greetings,
I've spent several hours over the past few days trying to get my
mouse recognized by the xserver on my freebsd box.  Alas, my
efforts to this point have been unsuccessful and I must avail
myself of the resources this list has to offer.  My thanks
in advance. :)

Details:
P133 with DB9 serial port interface for mouse.
The mouse: Logitech 3-button mouse with ps/2 bus connector attached
           to the DB9 port using an adapter.
The OS: FreeBSD 2.2.6.

Problem - mouse not recognized by X server.  Can't get cursor to move
          during XF86Setup.

What I've tried:
I would like to use moused.  I've configured moused to point at
/dev/cuaa0, and have linked /dev/mouse to /dev/sysmouse.  I've
specified the moused_protocol in rc.conf to be many things,
including ps/2, logitech, busmouse, mouseman, etc...  With
ps/2 as the protocol, moused complains about a "-t" option.
I have specified NO options in the rc.conf file in the moused
options area.  I /have/ insured that ps2 driver support has been
built into the kernel.  With 'logitech' specified as the protocol,
moused seems to come up cleanly, although I really don't know how
to confirm if moused has attached to a device and recognized it
as a mouse.

In XF86Setup, I have tried to specify the protocol as just about
every possibility available, with the device either being /dev/cuaa0
(probably not the right thing to do with moused running), or as
/dev/mouse.  Also, I've tried several combinations of options without
moused.  For some reason, I just can't get the cursor to move
after hitting the "Apply" button.

At this point I'm wondering if:
a) Anyone else has tried to get a logitech mouse with a DB9 adapter running
   under this version of 2.2.6.
b) If anyone knows if the adapter is forcing the logitech mouse to look like
   an ordinary serial mouse, or a real ps/2 mouse, or logitech mouse, or
   what?
c) How can I confirm that moused really found a device to talk to?
d) How can I confirm that cuaa0 is really the device to point moused at?

I searched the FAQs and mailing lists.  I feel that I have an intuitive
understanding of what's happening, but I just can't get things to go.

Thanks again for your assistance. :)

-Rob