Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 08:38:18 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build failure

In article <xzpd881st21.fsf@hvergelmir.ifi.uio.no>,
Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=  <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> I've been trying to make world for ~20 hours (every time with the
> freshest sources available). This jumps up and bites my arse every
> time. I've tried running it by hand, and it works fine...
> ===> i386/boot0
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0
> (cd /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0; m4 boot0.m4 boot0.s) |  as  -o boot0.o
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:245: Error: Bad Absolute Expression, absolute 0 assumed.
> {standard input}:245: Warning: Repeat < 0, .fill ignored
> *** Error code 1

During make world, this is being assembled by the a.out assembler.
But when you do it by hand, you get the elf assembler.  I haven't been
following this code, and don't know which assembler is supposed to
be used here.  The a.out assembler can't handle this, on line 223 of
boot0.s:

                .fill start+PRT_OFF-0x3-.,0x1,0x90

I'm a little bit surprised that the ELF assembler can handle this.

John