Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:33:49 +0100
From:      ".VWV." <victorvittorivonwiktow@interfree.it>
To:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   workstations aren't always the same as desktops

> On Tuesday 02 March 2004 11:55 am, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
> > I have to agree - however I see two classes of "machines" at a
> > company. Workstations/desktops, and servers.

What's common to workstations and desktops is the need of a the graphical
environment, and a similar frontend for all of the applications. A serious
workstation must otherwise have high calculation speed, combined with a
rock-solid filesystem, possibly with ATA or SCSI mirroring RAID. Another
need are emulators and compatibility layers, in order to run on the the same
host o.s. multiple guest o.s. for the use of several commercial
applications. FreeBSD unfortunately lacks of support from VMWare.
A desktop pseudo-compuer can instead also be hard discount stuff.

.VWV.