Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:19:41 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Kevin J. Kelly" <kjkelly@kjkelly.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems Recognizing and Mounting a Toshiba XM-3801B SCSI CD-ROM

"Kevin J. Kelly" schrieb:
> [snip]
> The Plextor CDR is /dev/cd1c; the Toshiba CD is /dev/cd0c.  cd1 is properly
> detected upon boot, but the following error always occurs for cd0:
>     cd0: Attempted to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
> present
> when there is a valid media in the drive (I know it's a valid media because
> I can read it when I mount it under cd1).[snip]

Not all CD-ROM drives can read CD-Rs or CD-RWs like burners. Thus it's
likely you try to read a CD-R with contrast values so low your CD-ROM
drive cannot cope with. At least the error message tries to tell the
facts.

Please try again with a _clean_ CD-ROM (not -R, not -RW!). It that one
can be mounted, your drive is either outdated or faulty.

HTH
-Christoph Sold