Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 12:21:01 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        Sean Doran <smd@cesium.clock.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

Sean Doran writes...

>Dennis  <dennis@etinc.com> writes:
>| your (ridiculous) allusion to the "Sun Sparc" is a clear indication
>| that you just dont get it.
>
>Actually, I only mention this because the largest dialup
>ISP in the U.K. (and quite likely all of Europe) use Sun
>SPARCs running NetBSD as routers, and in the NetBSD world
>make much of this whenever the word Cisco is mentioned.
>
>I wonder if the irony of you attacking their position as
>ridiculous is lost on you if you haven't seen any of the
>Demon folks discussing *NIX boxes vs. dedicated routers.
>
>I also wonder if you have looked at pricing out a SPARC
>system vs a comparably high-end built-for-reliability PC
>lately, particularly outside of North America or in the
>face of bulk and educational discounting schemes.

Well, I was talking about price/performance and modularity.

How much is a Sparc with 32Meg and  dual T1s and Dual
Fast Ethernets anyways?

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX