Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 21:47:07 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binutils bloat

Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Erhm, we've just found new problems with the binutils ability to
> cope with a.out. We will have to install all the utils in
> /usr/libexec/elf fornow, and have the original aout in /usr/libexec/aout.
> /usr/bin/objformat will then decide which one to call.
> This means that until we go completely ELF, you will not have default
> access to the tools from binutils.
> I suggest (strongly) that the other architectures (well alpha) stick
> to the same directory structure that the i386 version does, everything
> else will just make a mess of makefiles etc. Having /usr/libexec/aout
> empty becuase its not supported is no excuse for not following the
> std layout.

The build directory structure has nothing to do with where the binaries
are installed. I'll send you (and jdp and peter) details of an alternative
makefile design that treats the architecture specific makefiles as
additive rather than exclusive [Sorry to sound like Terry 8-) ] so
that more than one architecture is built.

Apart from gas which is a special case, the other binutils can be
built on the host architecture with additional architecture support
by adding something like this (example for i386 and m68k on alpha) in
/etc/make.conf:

---
# Architectures for which cross tools are required:
CROSS_TOOLS=    i386 m68k
---

After the make world, I get one each of:

addr2line ar ld nm objcopy objdump ranlib size string strip

to run on the (alpha) host plus an `as' for the host, and an as_${arch}
for each additional architecture specified in CROSS_TOOLS.

The makefiles aren't that bad - just different. And I'm not talking about
aout support that is covered by usr.bin/ar, usr.bin/ranlib, etc. Those
tools can stay as they are. Nothing lost, nothing gained. 8-)

Also bear in mind that the only tools you are installing in
/usr/libexec/elf are ar, as, ld and ranlib. The other tools are
being installed in /usr/bin.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137