Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:11:05 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound problems with 4.3

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 03:46:19PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Recently I have had an odd problem with the sound on my laptop. The
> unit is a ThinkPad 600E with Crystal 4236 audio using the newpcm
> driver.
>
> >From my config:
> device pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10
>
> The sound now has an odd problem in that the last second (or maybe a
> bit less) of the sound file is repeated continually for several
> seconds. I hear the same thing, though for differing periods from the
> Gnome sounds and from Realplayer. It's not awful, but it does get
> annoying.
>
> I'm not sure just when I first noticed it. Probably in late March or
> early April.It's still there as of my Apr. 25 build.
>
> Has anyone else heard this? Any ideas as to what is causing it?

I've been having the same problem from my ESS 1869 chip longer than
I care to remember. I am always planning to enable debugging info from
the driver to figure it out, but I haven't got the time yet. You
should probably ask this in freebsd-multimedia in order to get a
useful answer though.

Cheers,

-past