Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:42:47 -0600
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no cd0/pass0 devices under 7.0 (though acd0 is there)

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:15:53AM +0000, Dieter wrote:
> > > I still think that it should work out of the box.
> >
> > It does.  "kldload atapicam" works perfectly.
>
> It does *not* work out of the box.  You have to know to add
> device atapicam to the config file, or to kldload atapicam.

That's still in the box.  No recompiling needed.  No network needed to
download or install anything.  It comes in the box.  You just have to know
which knob to turn.

> "man -k dvd" does not yield anything helpful.

Why would it?  This isn't a DVD-specific issue.  I burn DVDs all the time
using burncd(1)..  (+RW that is).

> Adding "kldload atapicam" to rc.local would be late enough to
> not spoil the probing of "real" SCSI devices, right?
> (I'm assuming that loader.conf might be too early.)

loader.conf is too early.  I use my own /etc/rc.d/ script to load a generic
list of modules.  I haven't had the time to submit it to freebsd yet, but
it wouldn't be hard for anyone to do.  I called my script kldload_late.

-- Rick C. Petty