Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:21:10 +0100
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Riggs <freebsd-lists@christianserving.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD/DVD ejecting after sysinstall

On 20 Aug 2010, at 20:46, Jim Riggs wrote:

> http://www.mail-archive.com/svn-src-all@freebsd.org/msg24380.html
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D17126
>=20
>=20
> This commit automatically ejects the CD when sysinstall exits which =
almost had dire consequences for me this week.  As described in the =
forum post, I keep a LiveFS CD in all of my servers so that I can =
remotely diagnose and fix issues.  I have done this for several years =
now, and it has saved my tail many times.
>=20
> However, I got a surprise when I tried it today with the new 8.1 =
LiveFS CDs I had just burned.  After attempting to fix a problem from =
the LiveFS and rebooting back to the HD, the problem still existed.  No =
problem.  I just tried to boot back to the CD only to find that it was =
gone.  Luckily, this was on a box in-house, so I was quickly able to see =
what was wrong.
>=20
> Now that I have the commit, I can roll my own patched sysinstall and =
CDs, but the question is:  Should we be ejecting the media without any =
prompt?  Obviously, for my use case, I liked the old behavior of just =
reminding the user to eject the media when rebooting.  I understand that =
may not be optimal for some users.  Can we present a dialog asking the =
user if they want the media to be ejected?  That still leaves me at risk =
of selecting the wrong answer, I suppose.  I would rather not have to =
roll my own LiveFS CDs every time, though.
>=20
> Thoughts from anyone else?  (Please copy me on responses.)

You are correct. We should not be ejecting the CD without a prompt. If =
the commit is reverted, it should be explicitly noted in the code so =
that we don't do this mistake again.

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo