Date:      	Tue, 14 Feb 1995 03:29:07 -0800
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   A comment on the timer at the Boot: prompt

	I have a Pentium-90 computer, and the guy who put it all
together for me moved my Adaptec 1542CF port address to make
room for the SoundBlaster, which also wanted to sit at 0x330.
That meant that whenever the system booted, I had to dive in
and type the name of the kernel in order to include the "-c"
argument (a very nifty thing, BTW! Sure would have come in handy
back when I was slinging 4.X around on PDP-11s and VAXes.).

	My guess is that you use some sort of CPU spin loop there,
polling the keyboard for input, though I haven't read the source to
check this yet.

	My point is that on a really fast machine, you have about
a second and a half to start typing, or it jumps in there and
boots the wrong kernel (or at least, a kernel with the wrong
arguments).  That pause should somehow be adjusted for CPU
speed, or the less-than-sprightly are never going to be able
to boot their systems.

	First thing I did (after a minor conflagration over
installing the XFree86 package, mainly because I forgot the
mail messages about how that all comes up on an alternate VT -
and what a strange bug that is!) was build a new kernel with
a fixed Adaptec port address.  It's amazing how that stuff
comes back to you.

	Very nice job.  Good thing I can type fast, though.

Mike O'Brien