Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 11:53:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steven G Kargl  <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, nate@trout.sri.mt.net, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TeX support in bsd.doc.mk?

According to Rodney W. Grimes:

> > > I'm not sure I follow?  What kind of rules?
> >
> > TEXDOC=	foo
> >
> > .include <bsd.doc.mk>
> >
> > % make
> > tex foo.tex ...
> > End up with foo.ps in obj.
>
> I only have one thing I would like to say about this, don't modify
> bsd.doc.mk to do this (that file has to get parsed for every make
> in the source we do, and this just adds stuff to it to parse that
> we well not use in /usr/src) add bsd.tex.mk to do this.

I agree with Rodney about bsd.tex.mk.  However, I was wondering if
it can be made smart enough to distinguish between TeX (as in Knuth),
LaTex2e, TeXinfo, ...

Also, you need to consider the possibility of cross references in a
TeX file.  This normally means that tex (or latex) is run more than
once to get things straight;i.e.,

%latex foo   <--- produce *.log, *.aux, *.toc ...
%latex foo   <--- resolve cross references (e.g., Table of Contents)
[%latex foo  <--- again, resolve more cross references?]
%dvips -o foo.ps foo

If you incorporate a dvips step, are we assuming 300dpi on a Canon CX
laser printer engine?  This could probably be set in make.conf; i.e.,
DPI=300 or ENGINE=CX.  Dvips needs to have the *.mf files for font creationr
available, and a single place to build/store the *.300pk files?  If
the tex,dvips,xdvi packages are previously installed, then dvips should
Do the Right Thing, but it's not guaranteed.

--
Steven G. Kargl     | Phone: 206-685-4677 |
Applied Physics Lab | Fax:   206-543-6785 |