Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:44:26 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Alex Lyashkov <shadow@psoft.net>, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd] Re: jail extensions

Brooks Davis wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 12:03:33PM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
>

>>Hi,

>>>When looking at improved virtualization support for things like System V
>>>IPC, my opinion has generally been that we introduce virtualization as a
>>>primitive, and then have jail use the primitive much in the same way it
>>>does chroot. This leaves flexibility to use it without jail, etc, but means
>>>we have a well-understood and well-defined interaction with jail.
>>>

>>IMHO, it is worth having virtualization primitives wherever it is
>>required and make jails use them.  This can be the case for the
>>System V IPC as well as for the network stack (think of Marko's work).
>>
>>My point is that the usability of virtual network stacks remains
>>interesting outside the jail framework and should be able to be managed
>>from its own userland tool (though the latter should probably not be
>>able to destroy a virtual network stack associated with a jail).
>>However I don't think that IPC are worth virtualizing outside a
>>jail framework.
>>

>I could definitly use the ability to virtualize IPC inside a lighter
>container then a jail.  I'd like to be able to tie them to jobs in a
>batch system managed by Sun Grid Engine so I can constrain resources on
>a per-job basis and insure the no IPC objects outlive the job.
>
>-- Brooks

I think that the term "jail" needs to be replaced by something else in
this context..
maybe a "virtual context"..  virtual contexts would have the option of
virtualising
different parts of the system.
for example they would have the option of whether or not to have a
chroot, or their own
networking stack, or their own process space..