Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:13:42 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi EABI test image

On Dec 24, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-12-24 at 10:58 -0500, George Mitchell wrote:
>> On 12/23/12 19:55, Andrew Turner wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:05:48 -0500
>>> George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
I can
>>> I've seen this before with other RPi images.
>>>=20
>> Changing DHCP to SYNCDHCP "fixes" the issue.  I'll try to see if I =
can
>> figure out why DHCP doesn't work.
>>=20
>=20
> To look into why =3DDHCP doesn't work, look at devd and the devd rules =
> figure out why usb-based interfaces (apparently) aren't being handled.
> The way the rc system works these days, DHCP means "do 'ifconfig up' =
on
> the interface and let devd launch dhclient in response to that", and
> SYNCDHCP means "the rc system directly invokes dhclient immediately".

Or alternatively, you can look at the early startup state of the ue0 =
device and look for subtle differences between it and other interfaces.  =
For a short period of time it may throw some weird error that dhclient =
isn't coping with.

But check to make sure that there's a rule that's run when it happens.  =
Since devd has transitioned to the link messages that are independent of =
device type, I don't think there's a difference there, but you never =
know.

Finally, you might try it on a laptop, since that's an easy test =
environment...

Warner