Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:09:23 -0500
From:      Mark Fullmer <maf@net.ohio-state.edu>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH for Apache: Add FreeBSD Server Layout

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 04:32:50AM -0800, Jesse wrote:

> > What do you do to upgrade, delete the whole directory and reinstall it
> > and restore your backup data? If you do, I'm glad I don't have to clean up
> > the mess that can make.
>
> To upgrade, you simply run the upgrade scripts, or the install scripts of
> the newest version is --prefix=/usr/local/program. To delete the entire
> package, rm -rf /usr/local/program. To reinstall it, ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/program; make install. To backup my data, tar cvf
> program-backup.tar /usr/local/program. To restore my data, cd /usr/local;
> tar xvf program-backup.tar.

This works fine for a single machine.  When you have many servers
delegating one to act as a build box and then pushing out /usr and
/usr/local with sdist(1) to each client buys you a consistant environment,
less backup tape space, and time installing the same software/upgrade n times.
/var, /, and /home/x are all the need to be backed up.  It's also nice
to be able to dump/restore a /usr or /usr local from one machine to the
next when a disk goes bad.  The current ports and packages collections don't
take this type of environment into account.

> Now, imagine doing any of those things with all your files scattered all
> over multiple directories, especially when you start coming across some
> files which you're not whether they below to that program or not.

All that's required is a packing list, or if there are files created
at run-time (ie a web server) just stick them in /var/package.

*1 rdist modified to use ssh.

--
mark