Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 17:06:54 -0800
From:      Patrick Mahan <mahan@cisco.com>
To:        "Floris 'Tamama' van Gog" <floris@vangog.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Got an Alpha 21066 rev 2 hardware rev 1, how to get to SRM?

At 12:29 AM 12/6/01 +0100, Floris 'Tamama' van Gog spoke:
>Hi,
>
>I recently received an Alpha motherboard with CPU and memory from a
>friend. I stuffed it in an AT case, attached a SCSI HDD and cdrom to it,
>added a Matrox Millenium 1 to it and booted. It comes in this:
>--------
>Alpha Firmware Version 4.42
>Copyright(c) 1993-1995 Microsoft Corporation
>Copyright(c) 1993-1995 Ditigal Equipment Corporation
>
>Boot menu:
>
>Boot Windows NT
>Boot an alternate operating system
>Run a program
>Supplemantary menu
>---------
>
>The machine previously ran Linux redhat, but since i didnt get an
>harddisk to go with it, it can't boot it :-)
>
>Now as I have never even seen an Alpha in my life, I am sort of puzzled.
>The FreeBSD install guide keeps talking about an SRM prompt and all
>that... but I don't seem to have it at all! Argh this is frustrating :-)
>
>Any help to get to that SRM prompt is greatly appreciated.

It may not have SRM installed.  Try going to supplemantary menu.  If there
are options for OpenVMS or Unix, switch to one of those O/S types.  That
will get you to the SRM.

However, be warn that some Alpha's were setup to only run NT.

Patrick Mahan
mahan@mahan.org