Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:29:23 -0600
From:      "Lewis Watson" <lists@visionsix.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Production Machine, Custom Kernel, Updating to P9

Hello list members,
First, please direct me to a more suitable list if this is too OT. I am
running a few FreeBSD machines in a small isp environment. I want to
upgrade from release 4.7-p7 to release 4.7-p9 on a machine with a
customized kernel that is *in production* and am hoping that those of you
more experienced with FreeBSD can give me some advise to keep this machine
solid.

In my limited past I have went the route of install OS from cd; cvsup with
RELENG_4_7 all the way to make installworld and then once the OS was
updated I would customize my kernel. So now I want to update to 4.7-p9 and
I have a customized kernel and am not sure what is the best way to
proceed.

I have read /usr/src/UPDATING and the handbook regarding rebuilding the
kernel after syncing the src. It looks as if I have two paths. 1) Rebuild
with my custom kernel or 2) rebuild with a generic kernel and then rebuild
a custom kernel later. I would prefer to go with my custom kernel but am
afraid that something may break; which in turns makes me want to go with
GENERIC... but then.....

I have googled this in various ways and found an article where make
buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC  would stop with an error in his case. So
before I hose my system I am hoping that the more experienced list members
in the isp environment who understand my situation could share their past
experiences...
Thank you,
Lewis