Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:22:17 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@govital.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD killed my laptop, (twice); Thinkpad A20m

At 9:41 AM -0400 9/28/00, Nathan Vidican wrote:
>	Has anyone got FreeBSD running, successfully on an
>IBM ThinkPad A20M, (24U - PII 500/128megs Ram/6Gig HD) ?
>I have attempted to install twice now, both times have
>resulted in my having to replace the hardisk with a
>new one from IBM.

>	Any ideas, comments, suggestions, or otherwise would
>be greatly appreciated at this point. I don't think it'd be
>something with FreeBSD, but just in case, should I try to
>install a different version maybe?  (was trying to install
>FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE-20000924 I believe, or round the 24th's
>snapshot anyhow).

See a recent thread in this mailing list which talked about
problems with IBM's ThinkPad T20.  I think there was some
indication that the ThinkPad expected the first partition
to be either windows or linux.

I didn't follow that thread too closely, but one thing you
might want to do is set the laptop up as dual-boot.  You've
already paid for Windows, so make that the first system on
a small-ish (1-gig?) partition.  Then install freebsd on
the rest of the drive.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute