Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:04:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mac, the Nix's and other notes...

	Was doing some reading on slashdot and some other sites and ran
into some rather interesting information.  One of them being that in
Japan, the most popular PC/OS is Mac.  In Europe it's Linux and in places
like africa, believe it or not, dos and win 3.1 of all things.  :)
Probubly because they're still using a lot of our old discarded 486
machines.  FreeBSD was on one of the lists of OS's currently in use and
their relationship to the PC market as a whole.  While no one OS or system
took president, the Nix's in general (this counts linux as well) was a
far first, with the Microsoft Windows operating system line taking a
misserable 5th place with less than 8%.

	Breakups by country were also interesting.  In the US, MS OS's are
on over 70% of all machines while in europe it's less than 15% with the
Nix's taking 63% of all systems.  In Japan aproximately 91% of all
machines are Mac, while in China and Asia in general, the Nix's rule
the roost at 97% concentration.  Note, these are arbitrary numbers, and
not gospel fact.  But I found them interesting and thought I'd throw them
out there.  Kinda cool.  :)

	Now if someone could come up with a PPC port for FBSD, I'd be in
7th, 8th, and 9th heavens.  :)

	Also, in a breakdown of computer systems in use, based on
hardware, it seems that the X86 line is going very strong with Mac holding
a respectible 3rd, Alpha actually showed up 4th while proprietary hardware
as a group showed up second, and others below that.  Amiga even made the
list.  :)  I compiled this information in my head from a multitude of
sites, so I don't have exact links.  But it's interesting none the less.