Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 09:14:56 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dave@persprog.com
Subject:   Re: Intel Pentium II released

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:

> In article <338726E2.6A9D29F4.kithrup.freebsd.hardware@persprog.com> you write:
> >The other problem with this design is that it will be short lived since
> >the Deschutes will require a revised socket (called "Slot II" I
> >believe).
>
> Actually, the Deschutes is supposed to use the "Slot One" as well.
>
> But this lets me get on a rant:  I am sick of Intel right now.  They have
> been worrying me for quite a while, as they have a monopoly on the computer
> market.  (More than 85% of all processors in the world currently in use are
> Intel processors.  That constitutes a monopoly by most economists
> definitions.)
>
> And that's not good enough:  now they're trying to use the patent system to
> prevent anyone else from making x86 clones.

[snip]

Well, patents can backfire :-) For all Intel haters, DEC just sued Intel
for violating microprocessor architecture patents last week. They claim
Intel intentionaly used patented DEC technology in the design of the
Pentium, PentiumPro and Pentium II. Take a look at:

http://www.digital.com/whats-new.html

for details. What worries me is that, at least here, this went unnoticed
by the press, much like when someone sues Microsoft for violating
copyrights or whatever, meaning that it might be a lost cause. Still, I
think I'll follow this...

Just in case you didn't know,

Nadav