Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 03:22:41 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipf -y 'ing using user ppp

so, Haikal Saadh shared this in my lifetime...

> Hi all,
> I've come to understand that everytime i dialup using user ppp, I need to
> resync the filter rules using 'ipf -y'. Now, my problem is, everytime[1] I
> dial up, I have to ipf -y manually myself. I would put a line in ppp.linkup,
> but the thing is, ppp.linkup gets run with the priviledges of the user who
> just invoked ppp, and as i have non-root users dialing out, it does not
> work.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to automatically ipf -y when the ppp link goes up?
> Especially when invoked by non-root users?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> [1] Well, it seems to be needed to be done only the first time after a
> reboot most of the time.

same problem here. i suppose you also have some sort of firewall.
before i tweaked my ipf rules, ppp was making connection to the
outside world; now [1] i have always need to do manual syncing.

[1] now, the connections are ipf "default block".

by the way, do you have ppp (and, ipf[w]? options) enabled in your
/etc/rc.conf? admittedly i don't but i was and still do expect
/etc/ppp/ppp.link(up|down) to work ... which of course don't.

also, there was some discussion of it in past; you may try searching
the archive.

anyway, here is some of the things that can go in /etc/rc.conf:

------------------------
ppp_enable="NO"
ppp_mode="auto"
ppp_profile="<profile>"
ppp_user=""
ppp_nat="NO"

ipfilter_enable="YES"
ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf -Fa -f"
ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.conf"
ipfilter_flags="-y -l nomatch"
ipnat_enable="YES"
ipnat_program="/sbin/ipnat -CF -f /etc/ipnat.conf"
ipnat_rules="/etc/ipnat.conf"
ipmon_enable="YES"
ipmon_program="/sbin/ipmon"
ipmon_flags="-Dsv"