Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 10:31:39 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        vallo@matti.ee
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate drive lockup

>Just some questions. Do all newer SCSI drives support active
>termination inside ?

Anything that doesn't use resistor packs for termination likely
provides active termination.  Any drive built in the last two
years almost certainly uses active termination.  Of course, LVD,
and SCA drives do not come with termination at all.  It must be
provided externally.

>How good is that kind of termination provided
>by disks itself compared to external active terminators ?

I always prefer an external terminator from a reputable source
to on device termination just because I know exactly what I'm
getting.  If you go the external route, go with a force perfect
terminator.

--
Justin