Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:37:30 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 14:59 +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> >
> > In addition, I really would like to see user control over PnP
> > devices (via the pnp boot config command) brought back.  It's
> > just way too useful a thing to throw away altogether.
>
> There is nothing useful about it. That's not how PnP devices
> are supposed to work.

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but does it mean a
user (or better: admin) has _NO_ control any longer over the way
resources are managed (assigned)?  Can you direct me to a place I
can learn more about the way things work now?

The reason for my question is:  Pure PnP machines might be easy
to handle this way and automatic measures can work.  BUT when I
have a machine with a BIOS not supporting me (when reserving
resources and assigning them) or when I have legacy hardware I
don't want to or cannot load a driver for and thus reserve its
resources, there seems to be no way to keep the PnP manager from
arranging collisions and make things worse than necessary.  I
don't care very much about how PnP was _meant_ to work -- I've
seen too many broken implementations (this is valid for PCI,
too).  That's when I wish to gain manual control or at least
influence over these mechanisms when automation fails.

So I would like to have something comparable to the isapnp tools
I know from Linux:  They provide means to identify and dump
components and their requirements, they can determine working
arrangements _and_ leave manual intervention as a last resort for
the problematic cases.

Even if I cannot keep the automatic manager from assigning any
"free" resources to the found components, _I_ want to state
_what_'s free for them!  If you can tell me I have this chance
then I may follow you in that more control is not really useful.
If I don't have the chance to keep collisions with legacy stuff
from occuring then something important is missing.

> --
> Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)

BTW your sigdashes seem to miss the trailing space.  This
prevents decent reader software from recognizing the remaining
stuff as a sig.  Please make it read "-- ".  Thanks!

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net