Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:59:17 +0200
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@gneto.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@DeepCore.dk
Subject:   Re: ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA

Martin Nilsson wrote / skrev:
> Something is rotten with ATA on 5.x (or I have a rotten motherboard!)
> I have an E7320 "Lindenhurst VS 6300ESB box" with 2*3GHz EM64T Xeons and
> 2*80GB Seagate SATA disks. Sometimes when booting the whole ATA/SATA
> system hangs after two READ_DMA or WRITE_DMA timeout errors. This seems
> to more common when running as AMD64 than i386. I can't remember any
> hangs after the machine have been up nicely for a couple of min.

Today when starting the box with i386 RELENG_5 I got the following:

ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA LBA=4798015
ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA LBA=146847331

panic: initiate_write_inodeblock_ufs2: already started

After a reboot & fsck it works nice!

A verbose dmesg (from a good boot) is here:
http://www.gneto.com/FreeBSD/i386-dmesg.boot

I really don't know what to with this box, maybe put regular ATA or SCSI
disks in it?

	/Martin