Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:21:30 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A hack to rebuild port KLDs during kernel builds

--nextPart2545576.J7RZdrtjvK

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:58, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200411301456.19900.doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
>
>             "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> writes:
> : On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:35, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > Can't you just add modules override with absolute path name?
> :
> : I don't think so, because..
>
> MODULES_OVERRIDE is different.  It can take a list of paths to
> upgrade.

Ahh I see. Hmm, that could work but I think it fits in better with the kern=
el=20
build if you can treat port installed modules just like their base=20
counterparts.

> : If you already have the port installed it will barf unless you set
> : FORCE_PKG_REGISTER.
>
> That's just a minor bug I've not yet fixed.

minor? :)

> : Also, it would force an upgrade of the port which isn't necessarily
> : a good thing (eg I can't use the latest nvidia port because the 6113
> : driver blows up on my laptop).
>
> That's up to the user to manage :-(

How though? I think it makes much more sense to install the source code you=
=20
know works so rebuilding your kernel doesn't need distfiles (which might=20
require net access) or potentially forcing a port to be upgraded from=20
something you know works.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum