Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:51:25 +1300
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   syslog messages I don't grok

I've got a few varieties of error messages in my system log that I don't know
how to interpret.  Perhaps someone can tell me what they mean and whether I
need to do anything about them.

Feb  5 03:25:24 aniwa /kernel: timeout flushing dbuf_out.chan, cnt 0xfff90584
flags 0x000003c

Feb  5 04:12:28 aniwa /kernel: sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total 208)

Feb  5 04:25:43 aniwa /kernel: How strange... mss_intr with no reason!

The silo 'overflow messages' have been with me since I started running
freebsd.  My PPP link seems to work well enough though.  It would be nice to
be rid of the error message, but I figure it's no big deal.

The other two error message types are something I've just seen recently.  They
appear to be related to system load. Netscape aside, things seem stable
enough, but perhaps someone can explain what's going on.

FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE + PAO kernel

Andrew McNaughton