Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bitter@noah.org
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Need comparative data

I've been browsing through the mail archives look for the
"Linux Versus FreeBSD" type messages. They all seem to go something
like this:

	Newbie Q:"What's the difference between Linux and FreeBSD?"
	  Guru A:"It all depends on what you want and even if I knew
		the answer I would not tell you because I refuse to
		lower myself by getting involved in a religious OS war."

I'm coming from a large company that uses mostly Sun Solaris and a bit of WinNT.
A group of us is trying to put together a low cost system to run a load
balanced web server (currently 4 Ultra2 running Netscape Enterprise server)
with some server side database application code. We're a bit tired of Sun and
we are fed up with Netscape. We are currently evaluating Linux versus FreeBSD
(originally we were considering WinNT, but we have a lot of legacy scripts
that make the web server work. Also I was the only WinNT advocate and when
it was suggested that my penis might not be big enough I finally relented
and decided to stick with a UNIX variant. But which one?)

As far as administration and support goes I think it's clear that Linux
has a big advantage. Many packages (like Apache and Squid) come prebuilt
in RPM format. Also Linux seems to have good Java support.

As far as performance and reliability go I have not seen any arguments
one way or another. I suspect that FreeBSD is more stable (another reason
we decided against WinNT). Also, it seems that FreeBSD might be more
modular. We would like to remove as much crap as possible to get a clean
and easy to maintain system. But I don't have any real reason to believe
that Linux isn't dependable compared to WinNT.

We could also stick with Solaris since the Intel Solaris licenses are not
very expensive. Solaris is pretty good as far as I can tell, but I'm not
real fond of the Sun techs.

One thing I  keep reading is that "Linux and FreeBSD are really more alike
than they are different." If that is true than can someone give me one
reason why I should use FreeBSD? If all the support and momentum is with
Linux then why risk going with FreeBSD?

"Throw me a bone here people..."

Yours,
Noah