Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:45:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Don <don@calis.BlackSun.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

> > As far as I know MILO requires ARC firmware because it gets loaded from a
> > DOS partition by ARC at boot time.
> Actually, MILO *is* firmware. You can replace ARC or SRM with MILO in
> the flash rom, and in fact I have access to a box where this has been
> done.
Ya know folks, the original reason for my reply was not to start a debate
on ARC vs SRM and how they differ at a palcode level ... and whether or
not MILO is or is not firmware ... it was to simply try to tell someone
that we did not have FreeBSD working on ARC only systems as of yet (last
time I checked anyway) with a brief and *oversimplified* reason.

There one thing I find really amusing is that I was just told that
MILO both is and is not firmware. I was completely unaware that there was
MILO firmware. As for MILO changing the PALcode and not the firmware as I
said ... that was just my effort to be simple and not bring PALcode into
it.

If we are going to spend so much time re-explaining everything every time
someone asks I will gladly set up FreeBSD Alpha web pages dealing with
the history of the project and the design problems faced by the project.
These pages could also detail some of the specifics like the ARC vs SRM vs
MILO deal so that all of the information is in one place. (I realize there
are explanations out there already but it would nice to be able to go to
www.freebsd.org/alpha and get the complete state of the alpha port along
with history to we can just tell ppl to go to http://www.freebsd.org/alpha
for more info) I believe there is also a currently supported hardware list
and the two sets of pages could be linked.

-Don