Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:41:09 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        Nick Lozinsky <ccnp.bsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AC'97 Sound will not compile into 5.3 kernel on Gateway 64bit.

--TFRd1+ouQl5Ji+0h

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 04:33:01PM +0000, Nick Lozinsky wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I have attempted to build a custom kernel using the old-fashioned way:
>=20
>   # make depend make install clean
>=20
> and also the new way.
>=20
> I have added the necessary devices into the kernel as the handbook sugges=
ted:
>=20
>   device    sound
>   device    "snd_ich"           # optional

This may not be the correct device.

A reasonably painless way to determine which one you need is to build LINT
(cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf;make LINT), then add every device named
snd_something in LINT to your kernel config.  Rebuild the kernel,
reboot, "grep pcm /var/run/dmesg.boot".  If you have one, "cat
/dev/sndstat" and then you should be able to work out which of the snd_
devices you actually require.  If you still don't have a pcm device then
your card is unsupported.

If you don't want to go through all that, guess which device you need.
Is it a VIA sound chipset?  If so, it's probably snd_via8233 that you
need.  And so on.

> I have even attempted to # sh MAKEDEV snd0 and also pcm0, etc... I get:
>=20
>  MAKEDEV: Can't open MAKEDEV: No such file or directory

Get out of that habit - MAKEDEV doesn't work in any FreeBSD > 4.x.

Ceri
--=20
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)

--TFRd1+ouQl5Ji+0h

--TFRd1+ouQl5Ji+0h--