Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 02:02:16 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: src code freeze is over for RELENG_4

On Sat 2000-07-29 (00:47), Mark Ovens wrote:
> >     The trouble is (as someone else pointed out), there are still
> > countries in which private possession of strong crypto is illegal
> > ( (not so)Great Britain comes to mind).
>
> So what's your problem, sonny?
>
> JFYI, crypto is now part of src-all on our mirrors.

That _is_ the problem.

The policy changed and it has ramifications on some of our users in some
countries.  I had a list of problem countries, and another person also
had one, and noone gave it much attention at all.

The whole point of the crypto distribution was to protect people who
couldn't use crypto.  That included France at one stage, I believe, and
I believe the Netherlands has some legislation coming up.  It still
applies to many Asian and African countries (not South Africa, luckily),
and some others.

And now it sucks to be them because they can't buy, download, or use the
whole of FreeBSD without doing so illegally.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems