Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:54:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help: Is Sendmail secure?

Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us> types:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:54:53 -0800 (PST)  "Hiu F. Ho" wrote:
>  +------------------
>  | Is Sendmail really that bad? If I use qmail, do I need a separate POP
>  | server?
>  +------------------
> Sendmail is not realy that bad.  You need a seperate pop server if you
> are running sendmail.

Sendmail has a history of security problems, mostly because it dates
from the days when the internet was a nice neighborhood. It includes a
lot of functionality that generally isn't needed these days.

Qmail are designed for dealing with internet mail, not
berknet/uucp/BITNet/ArpaNet/whatever. They were also designed after
the internet stopped being a collection of friends, so security was a
design consideration.

That said, if you're running a small site, don't plan on making a
target of yourself, and follow the FreeBSD security announcements,
there probably isn't a lot of difference. Sendmail being part of the
FreeBSD distribution means there are fewer headaches if you ant to run
it.

	<mike