Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:37:40 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: alpha/22650: SCSI cdrom attach problems on 4-stable

>> Since autosense is failing, the cd(4) driver can't tell what sort of error
>> is getting returned (and therefore whether the drive is really accessible),
>> so it won't attach.
>
>An AUTOSENSE failing means that a check condition occurred, but no sense data
>is available. That should, in fact, be treated identically to READ CAPACITY
>failing because there's no media.

Are you saying that the Qlogic firmware will return autosense fail
if the sense information is all zeros (no sense)?  That would be
really broken.

>What's more important is that cam_periph_error or the periph should send a
>REQUEST SENSE if AUTOSENSE fails- the sim should not be the one doing this.

I don't know that you are guaranteed to get correct sense in this case
as the first attempt to retrieve sense may have cleared or changed
the sense information.  I do have this implemented, BTW, in some error
recovery enhancements I've made, but I still don't know that it is
the appropriate thing to do.

--
Justin