Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 05:42:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current is Really Broken(tm)

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > (if you are involved with devfs, libdisk or CAM it's important that you
> > read this imo)
>
> If you want to test 3.0-current as it relates to 3.0-RELEASE, please
> do not use DEVFS.  It will not be the default in 3.0-RELEASE nor is it
> even recommended for general use at this time.  It's there the same
> way that things like LFS and NFSv3 are there - available for people to
> play with but not considered robust enough to use in anything but
> purely experimental setups.  There's lots of experimental code in
> FreeBSD and we already know it blows up if you push on it, that's why
> it's experimental. :-)  Far better to work with the set of options
> in GENERIC (or a subset thereof) and report problems you encounter
> there.  Those would be true priority issues for 3.0-RELEASE.
>
> - Jordan

ok, but DEVFS is mmm mmm gewd.  i would like to test it, it's going off my
work machine, can't loose another day rebuiling a box again, but i'll
continue to play at home with it.

the offer remains if anyone wants any more info about these crashes, i'll
semi freeze the home machine as i don't see anything going into DEVFS
lately though.

as a side note i've been using NFSv3 as a client with 3.0 and it seems
kinda stable, had a crash or two the other day vie reading mail over a NFS
drive but after a cvsup the problems went away.

mmm, LFS... is that back in the tree again? doesn't seem so. :(

thanks for the feedback,
Alfred