Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2017 14:07:29 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CUBOX snapshots working?

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:21:52 -0600
> Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 20:04 +0200, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:

>> >  The problem isn't FreeBSD related, it's U-Boot related.
>> >
>> >  You could test build mainline u-boot just to confirm that it isn't
>> > something due to our ports.
>> >

>> If we used to provide working cubox images and we don't anymore, it's
>> hard to call that anything but a freebsd problem.
>
>  There is working cubox images, the last one is from yesterday.
>  You even say yourself that you did test it and that it worked.
>  Do we even know if the snapshot worked for this board ?
>  Brett, could you test the 11.0 release for example ? (I don't remember
> if for 11.1 we already switch u-boot or not).

I believe the change is in the u-boot port itself. However, I don't
think it's a u-boot problem (IMHO), it's a u-boot build configuration
problem. There are different board variants with different hardware
layout. u-boot has code for it, but our build does not account for.
Unless the scripts that build the 11.1 image use a different revision
of the u-boot port, wouldn't it just use the current 2017.7 base?

I'm trying to figure out how to generate a u-boot with the correct SPL
portion of u-boot. One could pull the SolidRun u-boot repo, or go find
the ports commit before the changeover and see if we can generate the
correct SPL.

I looked at Mainline u-boot and there is a board directory for solid run.
https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/board/solidrun/mx6cuboxi/mx6cuboxi.c
seems to support multiple memory configurations based on defines, so
this should just be a configuration problem.

We clearly need to start supporting the lower spec'd SolidRun boards
because this has come up a couple of times now since the changeover.
It should be just a matter of creating a port that does the same thing
but generates the correct SPL file? My SOM is a i2eX so I can't be too
much help (and I've also over volunteered myself!).

Russ