Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:56:53 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Importance of using correct hierarchy for ports.

> Well, I've got a popular BBS package that recently went GPL ported and running great on FreeBSD... my question is how important is it ti use $PREFIX/bin, sbin, etc, and so forth?  I'll have the port submitted by the time an actual release of the software is out (most likely with the month) but it is really used to having everything under one directory due to it's origin in the DOS world.  Not many places actually ASSUME that everything is in that dir, but a good number of them do.  How acceptable is creating a new directory under $PREFIX to contain the whole package?

Just imagine NFS server and a lot computers
with /usr mounted read only from this NFS
server (with local_startup="/etc/rc.d" or
something).
Does this works?
If yes (where data stored?), then
you can use /usr/local/libexes/someBBS
as a directory for all files and
write some shell wrapper for commands to be
in $PATH.
Examples:

#!/bin/sh -e
%%PREFIX%%/libexes/`basename $0` "$@"

or

#!/bin/sh -e
exe=$1
shift
%%PREFIX%%/libexes/$exe "$@"

That is only ideas and need some parameter
testing and substitution %%PREFIX%% for
real ${PREFIX} on build or install.

If this BBS package can't execute
in read only mounted directory
(try to store data in the same directory
as executable, libraryes or configs),
then it must be repaired to use /var for data

IMHO

Sorry for bad English

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/