Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 01:28:22 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
Subject:   Re: cvsup, buildworld this weekend, now cant ssh to machiens that I could :-(

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 04:21:05AM +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 06:35:02PM -0500, David Syphers wrote:

> > > You probably got bit by the protocol change bug.
> >
> > I know you disagree with the change, but it's not a bug.  It was intentional,
> > and it's mentioned in UPDATING.  Feel free to call it a bad idea...
>
> why ssh don't fallback to protocol v1 when a v2 negotiation fail ?
> in other words, that's what I could guess when I see `Protocol 2,1'
> which is try v2, and if it fail, try v2. if I wanted v2 only, I
> would have to say `Protocol 2', point.

It does fall back.  But it will try v2 first and since both client
and server speak v2, it's just too bad that your automated scripts
only have the v1 keys that have been working for 4 years that everyone
has forgotten about.  It can't change protocols just because of an
authentication error.

lambert@lambertfam.org