Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 06:14:42 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Heads-up! gcc-2.7.2 on the way!

It's been requested enough, it's finally about to happen... (and has even
been OK'ed by the rest of -core)

What this means:
 - Objective-C front end restored
 - Much improved C++ support, including templates, exceptions etc.
 - New libg++ (2.7.1) required (I'm finishing that at this very moment)
 - libobjc restored
 - C parser is much more ruthless...  *much* more...
 - The compiler understands all those new __attribute types that GNU
software is increasingly using surrounded by #ifdef __GNUC__ and not
checking the version... (it assumes that if you are using gcc, then you
are expected to be using the "latest").
 - The gcc/libg++ vendor branch will be repaired

I'll tag the "final" gcc-2.6.3 code so that it can be fetched with
relatively little pain.

(Then we can have the joy of seeing about all the new things that "-W
-Wunused ... etc" complains about in the kernel :-( )

Note that the FSF release of gcc-2.7.2 has some incorrect settings for the
FreeBSD config, it's a wonder that it worked as well as it did...  Anyway,
with the correct tm-freebsd.h settings, this package has turned out quite
solid. :-)

The code that will end up on the HEAD of -current is derived from Bruce
Evan's earlier work on re-integrating the FreeBSD changes into 2.7.2.
With a bit of luck once the vendor branch is repaired, there wont be any
excuse for not getting some of this shipped back to the FSF.. :-)

The only thing that I've not been able to verify with the new kit is
whether it still compiles the XFree86 server. I dont have the disk space
or know-how to test it.   (If somebody who has built the Xservers from
source before would like to check this for me, please let me know...)

So, this is a general "heads up!" call.  A 'make world' will be needed
after the imports and now would be a really good time to do a 'make world'
with the existing compiler to sync everything up and do a backup etc.
But, of course, since this is -current, I shouldn't need to remind
everybody... :-)

I've been running a userland and kernel built with this compiler for some
weeks now without any apparent problems (other than genuine kernel bugs,
of course.. :-)

This should be done in a day or two, so now is the time to speak up if you
have anything to say on the subject.......

-Peter (off to bed to sleep)
(dont forget to trim the cc: line if replying)