Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2013 01:49:07 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Post 9.1 stable file system problems

On 01/01/2013 01:29, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2013 00:01, "Dominic Fandrey" <kamikaze@bsdforen.de> wrote:
>>
>> I have a Tinderbox that I just updated to the current RELENG_9.
>> Following the update build times for packages have increased by a
>> factor between 5 and 20. I.e. I have packages that used to build in
>> 5 minutes and now take an hour.
>>
>> I'm suspecting the file system ever since I saw that the majority of CPU
>> load was caused by ls when I looked at top (more than 2 minutes of CPU
>> time were counted that moment). The majority of the time most of the CPU
>> load is caused by bsdtar, pkg_add, qmake-qt4, etc. Without exception
>> tools that access a lot of files.
>>
>> The file system on which packages are built is nullfs mounted from
>> an async mounted UFS. I turned async off, to no avail.
>>
>> /usr/src/UPDATING says that there were nullfs optimisations. So I
>> think this is where the problem originates. I might hack the tinderbox to
>> use 'ln -s' or set it up for NFS to verify this.
>
> Is your kernel newer than the Jail?  The converse causes problems.

I ran makeJail for all jails after updating.

I also seem to have similar problems when building in the host-system.
The unzip for openjdk-7 has just passed the 11 minutes CPU time mark.
On my notebook it takes less than 10 seconds.

Tinderbox:
FreeBSD AryaStark.norad 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #1: Mon Dec 31 22:28:36 CET 2012     root@AryaStark.norad:/usr/obj/GENERIC/amd64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Notebook:
FreeBSD mobileKamikaze.norad 9.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #1: Sun Dec 23 13:08:04 CET 2012     root@mobileKamikaze.norad:/usr/obj/HP6510b-9/amd64/usr/src/sys/HP6510b-9  amd64