Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:50:23 -0500
From:      dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
To:        Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>, Brandon Lockhart <brandon@engulf.net>
Cc:        Jeremy Domingue <jer@hughes.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

On Tue, Jul 14, 1998 at 12:43:25PM +0200, Stefan Eggers wrote:
> > Well, let's see.  Linux is a clone of SYSV, and FreeBSD a clone of BSD, is
> > that major enough for you?  Possibly different devices, different FS,
>
> Linux has no connection to System V source so clone is OK.  But
> FreeBSD is based on 4.4BSD-Lite code so I think the term "clone" is
> not appropriate here.

Actually, clone would be more appropriate for BSD, as they're sharing the same
genetic code, whereas Linux is an approximation based on SysV. ;)

Semantics ... of course the dict command is ever insightful;

3 definitions found

>From WordNet (r) 1.6 [wn]:

  clone
       n : a group of genetically identical cells or organisms derived
           from a single cell or individual by some kind of asexual
           reproduction [syn: {clon}]
       v : make a clone of

>From Jargon File (4.0.0/24 July 1996) [jargon]:

  clone /n./  1. An exact duplicate: "Our product is a clone of
     their product."  Implies a legal reimplementation from
     documentation or by reverse-engineering.  Also connotes lower
     price.  2. A shoddy, spurious copy: "Their product is a clone of
     our product."  3. A blatant ripoff, most likely violating
     copyright, patent, or trade secret protections: "Your product is a
     clone of my product."  This use implies legal action is pending.
     4. `PC clone:' a PC-BUS/ISA or EISA-compatible 80x86-based
     microcomputer (this use is sometimes spelled `klone' or
     `PClone').  These invariably have much more bang for the buck
     than the IBM archetypes they resemble.  5. In the construction
     `Unix clone': An OS designed to deliver a Unix-lookalike
     environment without Unix license fees, or with additional
     `mission-critical' features such as support for real-time
     programming.  6. /v./ To make an exact copy of something.  "Let me
     clone that" might mean "I want to borrow that paper so I can make
     a photocopy" or "Let me get a copy of that file before you
     {mung} it".

>From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (15Feb98) [foldoc]:

  clone

     1. An exact duplicate: "Our product is a clone of their
     product."  Implies a legal reimplementation from documentation
     or by reverse-engineering.  Also connotes lower price.

     2. A shoddy, spurious copy: "Their product is a clone of our
     product."

     3. A blatant ripoff, most likely violating copyright, patent,
     or trade secret protections: "Your product is a clone of my
     product."  This use implies legal action is pending.

     4. "PC clone:" a PC-BUS/{ISA} or {EISA}-compatible 80x86-based
     microcomputer (this use is sometimes spelled "klone" or
     "PClone").  These invariably have much more bang per buck than
     the {IBM} archetypes they resemble.

     5. In the construction "Unix clone": An {operating system}
     designed to deliver a {Unix}-like environment without Unix
     licence fees or with additional "mission-critical" features
     such as support for {real-time} programming.

     6.  <chat> A {clonebot}.

     (16 Dec 1994)

--
  //       dannyman yori aiokomete       ||  Our Honored Symbol deserves
\\/ http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/  ||  an Honorable Retirement (UIUC)